Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The End Of An Era


Just like celebrities die in threes it seems like certain era's of life and sports come to a close all at once. Sure some of it is pushing the facts around so that it appears to be a pattern.

Right now a good chunk of my childhood hero's and more specifically high school era stars are all calling it quits around the same time.

First Michael Stahan retired. The face of the Giants for the last decade. Lead them to two Super Bowls including this February's grand championship. With his retirement the Giants have lost a great amount of leadership from one of the leagues great classy players. You get the feeling now its truly Eli's team. Another QB I always respected, Steve McNair, retired back in April. I've enjoyed him since the Alcorn days and always thought he was a good ambassador for Mississippi. Tough player that finally couldn't play through the injuries.
The Braves have already lost John Smoltz for the year and his return for next year is up in the air. Tom Glavine went on the disabled list for the first time in his career and is spending as much time on it as off. And for the first time Maddux has made strong hints that he may retire at the end of the year. I never would have imagined but the big three has a chance to all retire the same year and go into Cooperstown the same year. As much time as Chipper's spending on the DL, despite having a great season, its hard not too see he only has a few years left. Not to mention the division streak that I enjoyed from sixth grade till two years removed from grad school ending two seasons ago.

And worst of all. This weekend broadcasting legend Skip Caray died. One of my two favorite broadcasters. (Along with Keith Jackson who went into semi retirement a few years back.) He started broadcasting Braves games before I was born and was simply amazing. Had a great sarcastic wit and was never afraid to say when the team looked awful. Wasn't an over the top homer and gave great insight. Waited till the right time to get excited and was alway ready to say, "Braves Win, Braves Win." My all time favorite line of his was, "and the bases are still loaded and I wish I was."

And just as the era of my high school hero's has come to an end I've reached one of those points where my life has changed as well. Bachelorhood is over. Real job responsibilities. House note.

But Skip as always said it best. "I'm 68," Caray said on April 2. "If I go tonight, I've had a hell of a life."

So instead its time to focus on the upcoming era both in sports and in live. Of which I'm truly excited for both. The Past had its great moments but the future has them as well. The Nutt era has to be better. The Giant's just won a Super bowl. The Braves will have another run in the future. And life's better when you live with your best friend. And a great dog.And thanks Skip. For making a great game better and all the great memories that came with you.

No comments: