Friday, April 4, 2008

So Glad Real Baseball Is Here


Real baseball finally returned this week. No aluminum bats. No stupid alcohol rules. Beautiful pristine parks, great players, cold beer, and crazy grenade throwing managers. My excitement has dimmed a bit after the Braves horrid start thinks to the horrible "pitching" of Chris Resop. Resop reminds me of a Bianco player since he has great velocity and nothing else. Doesn't matter how hard you throw the ball if it doesn't move. Just look at what really makes Lance Lynn great.

But that's also the beauty of major league baseball. They play 162 times. I'll panic if the Bravo's are still winning at .333% in May. And the Little Braves come home to start the season next Wednesday.

What I will panic about is the health of one of my hero's. Baseball goes with Skip Caray as long as I can remember. He's one of the reason's I became a Braves fan watching him on TBS in the '80's. His health is in poor shape as he was in a near coma for a lot of the winter. He's only calling home games this year on the radio. He's got my prayers for a healthy recovery because I've got to much baseball left to experience with Skip.

I'll close with my favorite Skip line. The Braves had a bases loaded walk to give up a run against the Mets, "And the bases are still loaded and I wish I was."

(Runner up: "Welcome back to Fulton County Stadium where its always the bottom of the fifth and I'm leading the league in doubles.")

No comments: